Friday, July 20, 2012

Norway 2012

Thursday 31st May

Harstad-Risoyhamn-Sortland-Stokmarknes-Svolvaer-Stamsund

A bitterly cold day, but today was to be our best excursion: the Sea Eagle Safari.

We disembarked and boarded the small boat, Orca Safari, all rugged up, thermals, gloves, beanie, heavy coat. Yet it was still cold.


The seagulls were obviously familiar with this excursion and hung around for some food.

 We went into Trollfjord, a narrow keyhole shaped fjord.

And following us in was our mothership, the Nordnorge.


It turned around in Trollfjord. It looked magnificent.

It was on this excursion that I took what I think are the two best photos on the entire trip.

This one is the second best:

Past some more beautiful scenery enticing the sea eagles out to eat.



This one managed to avoid the gulls that were trying to protect their meal ticket and swooped down to retrieve a fish.

We continued in our small boat to Svolvaer with the Nordnorge following in the distance. I could see it through the surrounding islands as we entered the harbour and I knew I had only one chance to get a good shot.

I rushed up to the bows and pointed my camera, hoping for the best. And here is, in my opinion, my best photo on the entire trip:

We jumped off the Orca Safari in Svolvaer and walked around the corner to get back on the Nordnorge. What a great day out.

No comments:

Post a Comment